05 Jan This Will Be The Most Delicious Couscous Salad Of Your Summer
With summer just around the corner, I’ve got the perfect salad to serve at your next afternoon barbeque or as an accompaniment to your evening meal. The pomegranates give a sweet burst of flavour, making this salad different to anything you have tried before. The dressing provides the perfect combination of zing and sweetness. Refreshing and simple, I can guarantee the summer couscous salad will be your go-to this season.
Why is it nutritious?
When making a salad, I always encourage people to eat the rainbow. Different colour plant-based foods will provide different nutrients, and this salad does serve up a whole rainbow of colour. The couscous acts as a fantastic energy-sustaining carbohydrate, keeping you feeling full and satisfied. Combine this salad with a side of seafood, lean meat or tofu, to build yourself a perfectly balanced meal.
- 2 cups of couscous
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 2 cucumbers, deseeded, chopped
- 1 pomegranate, seeded, molasses only
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons French mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Place couscous in a large heatproof bowl. Add boiling water. Cover with a tea towel. Set aside for 5 minutes or until all water has been absorbed. Use a fork to fluff and separate the grains. Set aside to cool down.
- In a small jar, add all dressing ingredients and lightly shake to combine. Set aside in the fridge.
- Place the couscous in a large serving bowl. Add cucumber, pomegranate molasses and feta cheese. Gently toss through.
- Pour dressing over the salad. Gently toss through. Top with mint leaves. Serve and enjoy.
- Use your hands or a spatula to hit the pomegranate before cutting, which will help to free the seeds and make them easier to remove from the pomegranate.
- Cut the pomegranate along the slightly raised ridges, which will make it easier to remove the seeds from the pomegranate.
- Once the seeds have been removed from the pomegranate, put them in a medium bowl. Pour water over seeds. The seeds from the pomegranate will sit at the bottom of the bowl. They will flush rise to the top. Drain water and flesh.
Et voila, there is it, the most delicious couscous salad you won’t get enough of. Super easy to make and not only super refreshing but also packed with nutrients. Perfect for whipping up for your friend’s BBQ on those hot summer days.
Are you looking for more summer recipes? We have the one and only green smoothie for you, perfect for a summer brekkie. And for those long hot days, we collected some ideas on how to boost up your water, so you are drinking enough water and keep your hydration up. (Cos, let’s be honest, sometimes plain water doesn’t cut it.)
Next summer BBQ is sorted yogis. You’re welcome.
Recipe and image provided by Emily Hardman