20 Apr The Best Healthy Lunch In A Bowl
What’s for lunch, honey? Let’s have a look-see in your fridge – what’ve we got to play with? Thankfully, the best and healthy delish lunches are the ones that are simple, quick and super easy to whip up these days. And they all are served in a bowl. YUMMM! Who doesn’t love a yummy dish out of a bowl? They are the best. [Acai bowls – eerryday! – Editor] And the best part is that you can mix and match any ingredients you fancy with or what you have leftover in your fridge. We share a healthy nourishing lunch bowl recipe below. Super easy. Your new everyday favourite lunch bowl is coming right up!
Healthy nourishing lunch bowl
One bite of this bowl and, oh yeah, the flavour of the sauerkraut pops. All other flavours are quite simple and neutral. Just mix and match with any salads or veggies you have in your fridge. The quinoa and egg will make it more filling. However, you can make this bowl your very own. Adding sauerkraut or kimchi to your bowls will make the difference. The zing you didn’t know you were missing in your bowls. Try it out and taste for yourself.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa of your choice, rinsed
- Two carrots
- Four radishes
- 1/2 fennel bulb
- Two avocados
- Two small kale leaves stem removed
- One handful of mixed baby lettuce
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- One pinch sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 4 tbsp golden sauerkraut or kimchi
- Two fried eggs
- 2 tsp hemp seeds
Cooking the quinoa:
You can use any colour of quinoa for this one, picking your favourite one will make it extra yummy. Place rinsed quinoa, 1 cup water and a pinch of salt in a medium-size saucepan and brought to a boil. Then lower the heat to a bare simmer and let gently cook for about 15 minutes, or until you see small tails on the quinoa seeds. Set the quinoa aside to cool in a large mixing bowl.
For the salad:
- You slice the carrots, the radishes and the fennel. The avocado is cut in small cubes. After you removed the stems from the kale, chop it into small pieces. Add the mixed baby lettuce and place all chopped ingredients into the quinoa bowl.
- Drizzle the olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper over it. Then toss it thoroughly – you can use your hands for that.
- Divide the salad into two bowls and drizzle a generous tablespoon of tahini over the salads. Add a couple of tablespoons of sauerkraut or kimchi on top. You can use your favourite sauerkraut for this (or make your own with this recipe).
- You can add a fried egg on top of each bowl and sprinkle hemp seeds on top.
- Ready to serve!
The bowl is so versatile you can skip or substitute the fried egg for falafels or anything that you find in your fridge, that you fancy adding to the bowl. Super easy. You can also up the tahini portion and drizzle more on it.
Bonus tip: these healthy nourishing bowls also make an excellent post-yoga dish. Yep, yoga approved – even better, right?
How good is this healthy nourishing bowl? Can’t get enough.
Recipe and image by GreenKitchenStories